|« February 2018 »|
| || || || ||1||2||3|
Total online: 1
Also called : Rubeola
Cause : A virus . It is an infectious disease and spreads from person to person.
Symptoms of measles : ( appear after 10 to 12 days after exposure to virus .) They include
Complications : The disease lasts for 10 to 15 days approximately . The complications of this disease includes the following
- Ear infection
- Dirrhoea or vomiting
- Bronchitis , laryngitis
- Pregnancy problems
- Thrombocytopenia(low platelet count)
Provisional diagnosis is made on the basis of the symptoms like skin rash and Koplik's spots . To confirm this diagnosis blood samole testing is done .
There is no treatment for measles, but the measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine can prevent it.
How to know if you need the MMR vaccine?
You don’t need to be vaccinated if you:
- Had 2 doses of the vaccine after 12 months of age or one dose of the vaccine plus a second dose of measles vaccine
- If you are immune to measles, mumps and rubella( know form the blood test reports)
- Are a man who is above 50 years
- Woman who is above 50 years don’t plan to have any more children
You should be vaccinated if you don’t fit the criteria listed above and you:
The vaccine is not recommended for:
- Are a nonpregnant woman of childbearing age
- Attend places like college, school etc.
- Work in a hospital, medical facility, child care center or school
- Plan to travel overseas
- Pregnant woman or women who plan to get pregnant within the next four weeks
- People who have had a life-threatening allergic reaction to gelatin or the antibiotic neomycin